[Standards] XEP-0080 interoperability

Stephen Pendleton pendleto at movsoftware.com
Mon Apr 12 21:45:53 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: standards-bounces at xmpp.org [mailto:standards-bounces at xmpp.org] On
Behalf Of Nathan Fritz
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 5:12 PM
To: XMPP Standards
Subject: Re: [Standards] XEP-0080 interoperability

>I think the disconnect you're having is that Pubsub isn't for IM
>clients. PEP is, or at most pubsub-service-on-a-barejid is.  XMPP
>isn't confined to IM use cases.  As an XMPP consultant, most of my
>work is Pubsub for non-IM situations.  Pubsub isn't useful for
>extending presence in an IM client outside of the concept of PEP and
>other barejid implementations. It's a service for eventing,
>broadcasting, synchronizing, storage, etc for services.  So when you
>talk about discoverability, that's generally a service implementation

Well I don't agree that pubsub isn't for IM clients too but I understand
your point. I also use XMPP out of the IM context, and that is why the RFC's
are structured as they are. However I believe that the type of projects you
are working on are in closed-loop systems, meaning that they operate on data
islands that require each endpoint to understand the service before
utilizing it. Of course you can use pubsub for anything like that.

Microblogging (or blogging in general) is an excellent example though - as
it is not restricted to IM clients. If you wanted to build a distributed
non-implementation specific microblogging system that used pubsub, not PEP,
how would it be done? I wouldn't know how to find your pubsub microblogging
nodes so I could subscribe to them. However if I always knew your microblog
was located at node jabberserver.com/nathanfritz (or whatever), or could be
discovered to be at that node, it would be easy to implement. Without that
step it is really limited to be used via PEP, which is certainly meant to be
IM specific, or is limited to a particular implementation (data
islands=bad).

I think I am just missing a piece of the puzzle here.