[Standards] XEP-0080 interoperability

Stephen Pendleton pendleto at movsoftware.com
Mon Apr 12 23:49:44 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: standards-bounces at xmpp.org [mailto:standards-bounces at xmpp.org] On
Behalf Of Florian Zeitz
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 6:58 PM
To: standards at xmpp.org
Subject: Re: [Standards] XEP-0080 interoperability

On 12.04.2010 23:45, Stephen Pendleton wrote:

>Maybe my view on this diverges from everyone else's, but I don't think
>PEP is/should be restricted to IM. It is a totally artificial
>restriction you are putting on your self that makes things more
>complicated. Why wouldn't (to keep the example) one microblogger be
>connected to one JID and his microblog stored in a PEP node on that?

I don't think PEP is restricted to IM I guess, but it does require a
roster/presence to make it work. In fact, I have done this by creating a web
service that uses a bot to receive PEP events (location, etc) from users
subscribed to the bot. If you had 1000 entities who wanted to get updates to
your microblog, you would need 1000 entities subscribed to you in your
roster in order for PEP to work.

I have even a better example: I want to post your current location to a web
page by subscribing to your geoloc pubsub node. Currently I would have no
way to programmatically find out where your node is I believe.