[Standards] XEP-0080 interoperability

Joe Hildebrand joe.hildebrand at webex.com
Tue Apr 13 00:19:17 UTC 2010

On 4/12/10 3:45 PM, "Stephen Pendleton" <pendleto at movsoftware.com> wrote:

> Microblogging (or blogging in general) is an excellent example though - as
> it is not restricted to IM clients. If you wanted to build a distributed
> non-implementation specific microblogging system that used pubsub, not PEP,
> how would it be done? I wouldn't know how to find your pubsub microblogging
> nodes so I could subscribe to them. However if I always knew your microblog
> was located at node jabberserver.com/nathanfritz (or whatever), or could be
> discovered to be at that node, it would be easy to implement. Without that
> step it is really limited to be used via PEP, which is certainly meant to be
> IM specific, or is limited to a particular implementation (data
> islands=bad).
>
> I think I am just missing a piece of the puzzle here.

If you want someone to subscribe to your pubsub node, you have to tell them
the JID and node you want them to subscribe to.  What that node is is
usually not interesting.  For example, see:

http://xmpp.org/internet-drafts/attic/draft-hildebrand-webdav-notify-00.html

Which defines a WebDAV property that you can put on a resource, which
specifies the JID and node to subscribe to for changes to that resource.

If you're just asking how you can have two different microblogs for the same
person with different ACLs, then that's an interesting (and different)
question.  We could (for example) define a XEP119-like pointer schema (which
just includes JID+Node, and maybe some descriptive text), and leave those
pointers in the well-defined microblog node.  Interested parties could try
to explicitly subscribe to those other JID+nodes if they wanted to.

--
Joe Hildebrand