[Standards] XEP-0080 interoperability

Tuomas Koski koski.tuomas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 12:02:32 UTC 2010

Hi all,

On 13 April 2010 02:19, Joe Hildebrand <joe.hildebrand at webex.com> wrote:

> On 4/12/10 3:45 PM, "Stephen Pendleton" <pendleto at movsoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> Microblogging (or blogging in general) is an excellent example though - as
>> it is not restricted to IM clients. If you wanted to build a distributed
>> non-implementation specific microblogging system that used pubsub, not PEP,
>> how would it be done? I wouldn't know how to find your pubsub microblogging
>> nodes so I could subscribe to them. However if I always knew your microblog
>> was located at node jabberserver.com/nathanfritz (or whatever), or could be
>> discovered to be at that node, it would be easy to implement. Without that
>> step it is really limited to be used via PEP, which is certainly meant to be
>> IM specific, or is limited to a particular implementation (data
>> islands=bad).
>>
>> I think I am just missing a piece of the puzzle here.
>
> If you want someone to subscribe to your pubsub node, you have to tell them
> the JID and node you want them to subscribe to.  What that node is is
> usually not interesting.  For example, see:
>
> http://xmpp.org/internet-drafts/attic/draft-hildebrand-webdav-notify-00.html
>
> Which defines a WebDAV property that you can put on a resource, which
> specifies the JID and node to subscribe to for changes to that resource.
>
> If you're just asking how you can have two different microblogs for the same
> person with different ACLs, then that's an interesting (and different)
> question.  We could (for example) define a XEP119-like pointer schema (which
> just includes JID+Node, and maybe some descriptive text), and leave those
> pointers in the well-defined microblog node.  Interested parties could try
> to explicitly subscribe to those other JID+nodes if they wanted to.

Good points and good discussion!

I am still trying to understand all the use-cases and I think I have
started to get at least some of them.

Would it be any help if the "http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items"
-query would include "type" attribute? This way the client could at
least show or hide the nodes 'it might be able to understand' without
querying all of them.

<iq type='get'
  to='pamela at wagon.com/mobile'
  id='items'>
  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items'/>
</iq>

Reply:
<iq type='result'
  from='pamela at wagon.com/mobile'
  to='stephen at movsoftware.com/resource-a'
  id='items'>
  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items'>
     <item jid='somewhere.else.com'
        node='/geo_loc/pamela at wagon.com'
        name='Geolocation of Pamela Baywatch'
        type='http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc' />
  </query>
</iq>

Another point:
In overall level I'm not sure if all business cases and problems can
be solved in a XEP specification (is it really the place for them?).
Please prove me wrong. :-)

Cheers,
--
tuomas