[Standards] XEP-0080 interoperability

Stephen Pendleton pendleto at movsoftware.com
Tue Apr 13 16:54:35 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: standards-bounces at xmpp.org [mailto:standards-bounces at xmpp.org] On
Behalf Of Dave Cridland
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:52 AM
To: XMPP Standards
Subject: Re: [Standards] XEP-0080 interoperability

>It is, but that's an explicit subscription to a PEP node, so if
>Juliet doesn't have PEP, then that won't work.

>The thing is, if you have a person, represent that with an IM account.

>If you want to tie Pubsub nodes to that person, do so with PEP (or at
>least Pubsub-onna-jid, which is a superset of PEP).

Thank you, that is quite a revelation to me. I didn't realize that there was
such a distinction. I realize now this is also covered in section 4.6 of
XEP-0060.

So in theory, I should be able to use pubsub and use the following stanza to
subscribe to the geoloc PEP node (assuming permissions are OK):

 <iq type='set'
     from='mywebservice.shakespeare.lit'
     to='juliet at shakespeare.lit'
     id='sub1'>
     <subscribe
         node='http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc'
         jid='mywebservice.shakespeare.lit'/>
   </pubsub>
 </iq>

My guess is that this will fail on most implementations because the access
mode for PEP nodes is "roster". But that is OK.