[Standards] Onesocialweb: code release and updated extensions

Laurent Eschenauer laurent at eschenauer.be
Thu Apr 15 04:52:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 4:48 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>wrote:

> On 4/13/10 3:41 AM, Laurent Eschenauer wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net
> > <mailto:dave at cridland.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Mon Apr 12 15:04:01 2010, Laurent Eschenauer wrote:
> >
> >         - switched to PEP for sharing of activity notifications (but
> >         using our own
> >         flavor of PEP, having added a new kind of node that supports per
> >         item
> >         privacy)
> >

> >     What does that mean? You mean that each item can override
> >     subscribers, effectively?
> >

> > Yes. It works like this:
> > - everyone can subscribe to my PEP microblogging node
> > - when I post an item, I can add some access restrictions (for viewing,
> > but also editing). For example: only distribute an item to subscribers
> > which are also in my roster and in the 'Colleagues' group.
>
> If I recall correctly, we had some discussions about this features on
> the pubsub at xmpp.org list, no?

Would be great if anyone of you can point me to these. I'll run a search as
well.

> And further: is this a useful feature? Do real users want to have that
> kind of control over publication of a single item?

I would not mix protocol capability and user features. I think that the
protocol should allow it, but the client will determine the final user
experience. In our case, the user set some defaults and then may override
them from time to time (same as in Facebook) and I personally love it.

But that is an interesting discussion and we would love to hear more
feedback on this from this community ! Thanks !