[Standards] Could anyone using XMPP-0277 or PEP help us test our Onesocialweb implementation ?

Stephen Pendleton pendleto at movsoftware.com
Sat Apr 17 22:01:45 UTC 2010

From: standards-bounces at xmpp.org [mailto:standards-bounces at xmpp.org] On
Behalf Of Laurent Eschenauer
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2010 6:58 AM
To: XMPP Standards
Subject: Re: [Standards] Could anyone using XMPP-0277 or PEP help us test
our Onesocialweb implementation ?

>In our implementation, when B and C reply to A, they are in fact commenting
on A's item. This means that post their reply to A and A is >rebroadcasting
it based on the initial privacy rules attached to its item. Now, if B and C
also wants to post it to their node, they can, but >therefore they may
expose some content that A did not want to see rebroadcasted.

Thanks for clarifying that, I missed how you were rebroadcasting it. I was
under the mistaken impression that in your implementation B's reply to A was
only going to B's PEP node. I have built a XEP-0277 client (android) and I
am interested in the implementation itself. For basic interoperability is
only XEP-0277 required? Also, does your Openfire plugin implement XEP-0277
(plus more), the roadmap page on the website doesn't seem to say.

My feeling is that XEP-0277 doesn't scale well, especially with PEP and
frequently reconnecting mobile clients in the mix. In particular the
rebroadcasting of messages (for example the replies to A that get
broadcasted to everyone subscribed to A no matter if they are interested in
that thread) creates a lot of traffic (and noise) on larger implementations.
You can see what would happen with a large implementation.