[Standards] Could anyone using XMPP-0277 or PEP help us test our Onesocialweb implementation ?

Laurent Eschenauer laurent at eschenauer.be
Sun Apr 18 08:56:49 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Bruce Campbell <
b+jabber at bruce-2010.zerlargal.org <b%2Bjabber at bruce-2010.zerlargal.org>>wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010, Stephen Pendleton wrote:
>
>  My feeling is that XEP-0277 doesn't scale well, especially with PEP and
>> frequently reconnecting mobile clients in the mix. In particular the
>> rebroadcasting of messages (for example the replies to A that get
>> broadcasted to everyone subscribed to A no matter if they are interested
>> in
>> that thread) creates a lot of traffic (and noise) on larger
>> implementations.
>> You can see what would happen with a large implementation.
>>

> [..]

Regarding excessive noise caused by a deluge of replies on a given
> item/thread, looking at XEP-0060, 16.6 could be used to unsubscribe from a
> particular item in a given microblog, effectively muting that thread. The
> particular wording reads:

Didn't think about that one, but definitively worth a look.

Another way to do this is to use a pubsub service (e.g.
activities.server.com) where every entry is a node and all related events
are items (e.g. comments, like, retweets, etc etc...). The client need to
actively subscribe to these to receive the updates.

The original item only keeps track of a reference counter (using atom thr
extensions). So you could get 'light pings' from the item and fat pings from
the item pubsub node.

Not sure yet of what is best. We'll try a few things, experiment and
iterate. All ideas welcome !