[Standards] Stanza namespaces

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Tue Apr 27 09:27:03 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> There has since been some (unfortunately public) suggestions that not
> accepting client stanzas on an S2S stream is a bug in M-Link, so I'd like to
> seek other opinions on the correct behaviour.

How would client stanzas appear on a S2S stream?

Given that the S2S streams doesn't use the client NS, are you saying
that you are receiving over a S2S link something like:

<c:message xmlns:c="jabber:client">...</c:message>

Just trying to understand how this would happen.

As for how to deal with it, we could argue for "be liberal on what you
accept..."-style of rule, but those tend to leave a big bag of legacy
stuff for future generations. Also, this would remove the pressure on
buggy servers (and I'm claiming that a server that generates client
namespace elements over a S2S link is buggy) to fix it.

I don't believe there is a good solution. I prefer not to accept such
stanzas, and drop the connection with the appropriate stream error
stanza but we should be aware that this could disrupt the XMPP network
for a while, as currently working (but buggy) servers stop being able
to connect to the rest of the us.

By,
--
Pedro Melo