[Standards] Stanza namespaces

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Apr 28 11:05:32 UTC 2010

On Tue Apr 27 23:09:25 2010, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> I assume that even if we allowed 'jabber:client' stanzas over
> 'jabber:server' streams, we would not allow 'jabber:server' stanzas
> over
> 'jabber:client' streams. At which point everything becomes
> 'jabber:client', in a way...

Except subtly not, because the schema of jabber:server is different
that of jabber:client.

That aside, we cannot get rid of either:

1) Many XMPP server-only implementations exist. It's not clear to me
how those might behave - for instance, Microsoft's OCS has an XMPP
"gateway", and it's specifically marked as being tested only with
Jabber XCP and GTalk, neither of which send jabber:client over S2S as
far as I'm aware. (Nor do ejabberd, OpenFire, etc either. Prosody
only did in comparatively rare cases, and we only noticed that in
*very* late testing).

2) jabber:client is used by all the clients, and I'm confident in
saying not all clients would accept jabber:server.

Besides which, it's really not that much effort on the part of the
server to translate between namespaces, surely?

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/