[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Message Carbons

Florian Zeitz florian.zeitz at gmx.de
Wed Apr 28 22:01:01 UTC 2010

On 28.04.2010 22:52, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> Any reactions to this?  This is intended to be instead-of mine-ing, so I
> would expect the anti-mine-ing folks to have some reaction one way or
> another.

Not sure if I'm to be considered anti-mine-ing, but my spontaneous
reaction to this was "I have no real use for this, but sounds fine".
While for Message Mineing it was "I have no use for this and WTF?".

One comment: "Servers MUST NOT enable the Carbons protocol for a client
by default, since unmodified clients might be confused by the new
protocol." might be a bit strong. Clients should probably have an
appropriate disco feature and servers could then enable the protocol
without being told to do so. I guess we still would not want to
recommend that behavior to servers, but it doesn't hurt to make it possible.