[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Message Carbons

Bruce Campbell b+jabber at bruce-2010.zerlargal.org
Fri Apr 30 16:51:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:

> I only had a short look at it now in the bus, but after that short read,
> it seems like my phone would ring every time I get a message, even
> though there's another resource where I actually read the message?

Assuming your phone opted in to it (3.2), and hasn't opted out again
(3.3).

> If I
> understood it right, it's missing some way to tell the other resources
> that you "accepted" a converstaion and are having it on this resource.

Not directly, but 3.8 (Avoiding carbons for a single message) indicates a
way for an individual message to not be copied to all other resources of
the sending and receiving parties.  Rinse and repeat for each message in
the not-to-be-copied part of the conversation.

> It should also be possible to release a conversation again so that all
> resources receive it - for example if the window is closed or there was
> no message for a specified amount of time.

Presumably clients that add <private xmlns="urn:xmpp:carbons:0"/> to their
messages would be prepared to cope with the other private resource going
away?

--
   Bruce.