[Standards] Addition of client types

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Aug 2 09:44:58 UTC 2010

On 7/30/10 6:03 PM, Paul Aurich wrote:
> On 2010-07-30 08:03, Florian Zeitz wrote:
>> On 30.07.2010 14:33, Jonny Lamb wrote:
>>>  2. sms: at least MSN and Yahoo also have a feature which means that
>>>     you can add phone numbers to your contact list. They appear as
>>>     contacts in your contact list but are not actually running IM
>>>     clients, and any messages sent to these contacts will be sent via
>>>     SMS.
>>>
>> That sounds like a gateway to me for which a "sms" type is already
>> registered.
>
> Not all of the contacts online via an MSN transport are going to be
> using SMS, though.  It would seem to make sense to me for those contacts
> to identify themselves like:
>
> 	<identity category='gateway' type='msn'/>
> 	<identity category='client' type='sms'/>
>
> Well, I'm not sure the individual contacts are on a transport should
> have a category='gateway' (the morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet), but
> a client type of SMS seems reasonable to me.

In service discovery, how would I communicate via XMPP with an SMS client?

Now, it's possible that a client might support multiple protocols, and
we don't have a good way to indicate that right now. We might to re-use
most of the existing gateway types for that purpose, e.g.:

client/aim
client/sms

One exception might be "client/http-ws".

https://stpeter.im/