[Standards] Addition of client types

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon Aug 2 13:34:04 UTC 2010

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 at 11:44:58 +0200, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> In service discovery, how would I communicate via XMPP with an SMS client?

The idea here is that you'd send a perfectly normal <message>, which some
gateway will translate into SMS and send onwards.

Some reasons why it's significant to know that a contact will receive SMS
(more so than general gatewaying), even if the mechanics of sending a message
are identical:

* it's likely to interrupt them more, replying is likely to cost them money,
  and (in the USA or while roaming) just receiving the message might also cost
  them money, so you might refrain from sending an unimportant message at all,
  or send fewer, larger messages
* if you know they'll receive the message via SMS, a character counter in the
  UI is likely to be useful; in normal XMPP, it isn't

We're mainly interested in XEP-0115 entity capabilities (and its equivalents
in other protocols), rather than the more general XEP-0030 service discovery -
we're looking at the identity of an individual client, rather than the
identity of their service.

The main case for which we want 'sms' in Telepathy (which is multi-protocol) is
for protocols like MSN and Yahoo where you can add phone numbers to your
protocol-level contact list, and normal protocol messages to those
pseudo-contacts will arrive via SMS. The most analogous situation in XMPP
would be that you use MSN or Yahoo via a gateway, and some of your MSN/Yahoo
contacts are themselves actually SMS contacts - so in general, the gateway is
to MSN/Yahoo (i.e. gateway/msn or gateway/yahoo, not gateway/sms), but these
specific contacts aren't really MSN/Yahoo users.

(The draft D-Bus API in which we're re-using XMPP client categories is here:
<http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec-snapshot/Connection_Interface_Client_Types.html>)

Regards,
    Simon