[Standards] Addition of client types

Bernard Peek Bernard.Peek at rnid.org.uk
Mon Aug 2 14:54:43 UTC 2010

I think this is where I introduce myself. My name is Bernard Peek, I'm
Head of Technology Development for RNID - the Royal National Institute
for Deaf people. We are the largest UK charity supporting deaf and hard
of hearing people.

My reason for monitoring the list is that we have an interest in
text-mode communications used by deaf people. In particular
instant-message type applications. In fact we wrote one of our own
(TalkByText) because nothing available supported the protocol we needed
- Real Time Text, RFC 4103.

On
> Behalf Of Simon McVittie
> Sent: 02 August 2010 14:34
> To: standards at xmpp.org
> Subject: Re: [Standards] Addition of client types
>
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 at 11:44:58 +0200, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > In service discovery, how would I communicate via XMPP with an SMS
> client?
>
> The idea here is that you'd send a perfectly normal <message>, which
some
> gateway will translate into SMS and send onwards.
>
> Some reasons why it's significant to know that a contact will receive
SMS
> (more so than general gatewaying), even if the mechanics of sending a
> message
> are identical:
>
> * it's likely to interrupt them more, replying is likely to cost them
> money,

It's significant if the client is using a PSTN gateway, as we built for
TalkByText. Any message arriving at the gateway causes it to set up a
dial-up connection, which costs someone (possibly us) cash money. We
don't mind a message that initiates a useful conversation. That's what
we provide the system to do. What we don't want is any unnecessary
calls. Or at least no unnecessary calls that aren't prepaid.

--
Bernard Peek
bernard.peek at rnid.org.uk
++Extra message.

Check your hearing now - it´s quick, simple and confidential

www.rnid.org.uk/hearingcheck

[Extra message ends].

++Disclaimer.
This email and attachments (if any) must be swept for viruses before opening.
Their contents may be confidential or privileged and are intended solely for the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient and you have received this email in error, you must not read or use this email and should notify RNID on telephone or textphone 020 7296 8282.
[Disclaimer ends].

++Company information.
The Royal National Institute for Deaf People. Registered Address 19 - 23 Featherstone Street, London EC1Y 8SL. A company limited by guarantee in England and Wales Number 454169. Registered charity Numbers 207720 (England and Wales) and SC038926 (RNID Scotland).
[Company information ends].

[End]