[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0201 (Best Practices for Message Threads)

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 01:25:10 UTC 2010

On 12 July 2010 20:15, XMPP Extensions Editor <editor at xmpp.org> wrote:
> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on XEP-0201 (Best Practices for Message Threads).
>
> Abstract: This specification defines recommended handling of XMPP message threads.

> This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business on 2010-07-30.

No feedback? I believe several clients implement threads (they are
necessary for negotiation of a few things now).

> 1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol stack or to clarify an existing protocol?

I believe so, yes. Although 3921bis defines the element, there is no
discussion there of when to generate thread IDs, and how to handle
thread IDs for different message types.

> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction and requirements?

Yes.

> 3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not, why not?

As primarily a server developer I have yet to encounter threads.

None.

Largely, yes.

I wonder if the handling for type="normal" messages should be
described more than it is. It seems to me that type="normal" could be
provide the basis for a threaded conversation, perhaps even more so
than type="chat". The main difference between "normal" and "chat" in
practice is simply the user interface that the client chooses to
display a message in.

On the other hand, "headline" is quite rightly unspecified - these
"one-way" messages should expect no reply.

My only previous complaint was on requiring the use of UUIDs to
identify a thread - both this XEP and 3921bis are clear on that issue
now, and so I'm happy on this point.

Matthew