[Standards] XEP-0206 and namespaces

Alexander Gnauck gnauck at ag-software.de
Wed Feb 10 07:59:29 UTC 2010

XEP-0206 sais:

<quote>
If the BOSH <body/> wrapper is not empty, then it SHOULD contain
qualified by the 'jabber:client' namespace.
</quote>

then there is a note which sais:

<quote>
Many existing XMPP-specific implementations of BOSH clients and
connection managers do not specify the namespace of <message/>,
<presence/>, or <iq/> elements, since that allows them to forward
stanzas without modification (the XMPP <stream:stream/> wrapper element
used with TCP typically sets the default namespace to 'jabber:client').
They instead simply assume that the full content of the 'jabber:client'
namespace is a subset of the 'http://jabber.org/protocol/httpbind'
namespace.
</quote>

does the note mean that I have to handle the following 2 IQs stanzas in
a client or server even they are in a wrong namespace?

Example 1:
POST /webclient HTTP/1.1

       sid='SomeSID'
       xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/httpbind'>
   <iq id='bind_1'
       type='set'
       xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/httpbind'>
     <bind xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-bind'>
       <resource>httpclient</resource>
     </bind>
   </iq>

Example 2:
POST /webclient HTTP/1.1

       sid='SomeSID'
       xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/httpbind'>
   <iq id='bind_1'
       type='set'>
     <bind xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-bind'>
       <resource>httpclient</resource>
     </bind>
   </iq>

my implementations are namespace correct and are currently not able to
connect to BOSH connection managers which don't specify the

Alex