[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Jingle Relay Nodes

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Wed Feb 10 17:47:39 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 10 February 2010 09:29:31 XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:

> Title: Jingle Relay Nodes
>
> Abstract: This documents specifies how Jingle Clients can interact with
> Jingle Relay Nodes Services and how XMPP entities can provide, search and
> list available Jingle Relay Nodes.

> The XMPP Council will decide at its next meeting whether to accept this
> proposal as an official XEP.

Cool.  I wonder how practical of a requirement it is for a relay node to not
be NAT'd though.  Who is not behind a NAT?  Maybe the rules should be relaxed
to allow those behind a STUN-compatible NAT to act as a relay node too.  That
would really open the doors to who may be a relay node.  Note: I have not yet
considered the added complexity in that case.  I am just thinking out loud.

I'm curious what Skype does these days.

-Justin