[Standards] XEP-0184 business rules for message receipts

Jonathan Schleifer js-xmpp-standards at webkeks.org
Wed Feb 17 14:35:26 UTC 2010

Am 17.02.2010 um 05:53 schrieb Peter Saint-Andre:

>   1. A sender SHOULD NOT include a request for message receipts when
> sending a message to the bare JID <localpart at domain.tld> of the
> recipient, only when sending to a full JID <localpart at domain.tld/
> resource>.
>
>   2. A sender SHOULD NOT include a request for message receipts unless
> it knows (via Service Discovery [4] or Entity Capabilities [5]) that
> the
> intended recipient supports the protocol described herein or unless
> the
> use of message receipts is negotiated via Stanza Session Negotiation
> [6].

I agree that those two are not too useful. It might be desirable to
send to the bare JID when the user's offline and get a receipt once he
gets online again.

>   3. A sender SHOULD include an 'id' attribute on the message so that
> the sender can properly track the receipt.

I'd even change that to a MUST, because if you don't know which
message was received, it's pretty useless.

> I'm no longer convinced that these rules are helpful.
>
> First, IMHO it does no great harm to include a request for a receipt
> in
> a message sent to the bare JID, which might be a message of type
> "normal", a pubsub notification, the first message in a one-to-one
> chat
> session, etc.
>
> Second, we can get rid of the disco/caps requirement if we get rid of
> the SHOULD NOT on sending to bare JIDs. And the reference to
> XEP-0155 is
> not something I think we want to maintain (personally I'd prefer to
> deprecate XEP-0155 but that's a topic for a different thread).
>
> Third, I'd be tempted to make 'id' inclusion a MUST instead of a
> SHOULD.

See above, I have exactly the same views. Therefore +1.

--
Jonathan