[Standards] XEP-0198 starting count

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Thu Feb 18 01:20:45 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 17 February 2010 17:00:09 Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> On 2/17/10 12:05 AM, "Joe Hildebrand" <joe.hildebrand at webex.com> wrote:
> > While we're in there, can we add a bit for the client to tell the server
> > "I'm going away for up to 10m, please don't close my session when my
> > socket goes away."
>
> And we also need to specify what presence we show for someone in that
> state.

Interesting point.  The document never discusses how a cleanly disconnected
stream differs from a broken one.  I'd say that </stream:stream> must be used
for a clean disconnect (which means the session is gone and unavailable
presence is sent on the client's behalf), otherwise the stream is considered
broken and the session stays active.

This means that a client can also intentionally uncleanly disconnect, by
simply closing its socket and not sending </stream:stream>.  If the client
wants special presence while gone, it just needs to send presence (and
probably request ack) before hanging up.

-Justin