[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0215 (External Service Discovery)

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Thu Feb 18 05:16:11 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 17 February 2010 20:52:49 XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
> Version 0.5 of XEP-0215 (External Service Discovery) has been released.
>
> Abstract: This document specifies an XMPP protocol extension for
> discovering services external to the XMPP network.
>
> Changelog: Added ability to request credentials from a particular service;
> incremented the protocol version number to reflect the new feature. (psa)
>
> Diff: http://xmpp.org/extensions/diff/

One question I have is how does a client know how long the credentials for a
TURN server are valid?  If it requests services at login, and receives push
updates from that point on, can a client assume that the latest known creds
will work?

It seems like it would be easier at the server end to have credentials be
created at the time of iq get, and that the client should perform the iq just
before needing to use the TURN service.  The creds would have a lifetime with
this in mind.  And then just forget about pushing updates.

I'm not set on this, just fishing for ideas.

-Justin