[Standards] IQ Pubsub again (was Re: Fwd: Meeting minutes 2010-02-15)

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 00:02:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:10 AM, Tuomas Koski <koski.tuomas at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to admit that I have forgotten these use cases too. How ever
> here are my reasons why I'm sending events in IQs:
>  * to be 100% sure that the events don't go to offline storage
>  * To have "acks" without implement XEP-0184 Message Receipts or similar
>  * I'm connected with a JID with multiple resources (/a and /b for
> example). I want to send events only to resource /a. When the
> resource /a for some reason disappears some servers starts to route
> message stanzas sent to resource /a to resource /b.

Tuomas has been quicker than me. I confirm all the points, plus:
- even xep-184  does not guarantee reliability in a s2s scenario
- in case of high throughput <iq/> delivery has implicit control flow
management, as for IBB
- I don't see many compatibility issues, since <iq/> delivery is a
config option which must be turned on
- yep, it works just with presence subscriptions to the pubsub nodes,
but one of the features I usually miss in standard pubsub services for
real applications is a decent handling of presence subscriptions

--
Fabio Forno,
Ooros srl
jabber id: ff at jabber.bluendo.com