[Standards] XEP-0198 starting count

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sat Feb 20 05:14:29 UTC 2010

On 2/17/10 10:23 PM, Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> On 2/17/10 6:27 PM, "Matthew Wild" <mwild1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> This means that a client can also intentionally uncleanly disconnect, by
>>> simply closing its socket and not sending </stream:stream>.  If the client
>>> wants special presence while gone, it just needs to send presence (and
>>> probably request ack) before hanging up.
>>>

>> +1 to the above interpretation. I don't think there's anything extra
>> we need to define, just clarify.
>
> +1.  I'd add that the presence you send before hanging up might want to have
> priority -1, in case the client author hadn't considered that.

So we have three things here, in order of impact on the spec:

1. A clarification regarding the difference between a cleanly closed
stream (via an explicit </stream:stream>) and what Justin called a
broken stream (I'd prefer a term like "unfinished"). This is a slight
clarification, not even a fix.

2. A correction to the initial value of 'h'. IMHO this is a relatively
small fix, one step above an erratum.

3. A new feature that enables the client to specify how long it will be
disconnected so that the server will keep the client's session alive.
IMHO this is a larger feature that requires some design work.

I'd prefer to clean up #1 and #2 with a quick version update to
XEP-0198, then turn to #3 in a subsequent version.

https://stpeter.im/