[Standards] XEP-0136 modifications

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sun Feb 21 04:34:55 UTC 2010

On 2/2/10 12:59 PM, Yann Leboulanger wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> On 1/8/10 12:28 PM, Yann Leboulanger wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Alexander Tsvyashchenko and I discussed changes in XEP-136, and we wrote
>>>  them in the XEP. Attached is a diff of the xep-0136.xml, and you can
>>> see the result here:
>>> www.lagaule.org/xep/xep-0136.html
>>>
>>> What do you think about that?
>>> Comments are appreciated!
>>
>> Hi Yann!
>>
>> I must admit that I have not tracked the XEP-0136 discussion. I will try
>> to do so before FOSDEM. However, a nice short summary of the proposed
>> changes would be very helpful. :)
>>
>> Peter
>>

> The thread is not very long (A discussion between Alexander
> Tsvyashchenko, ejabberd archiving module developper, and me):
> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2009-December/022951.html
>
> The main problem I faced was that it is currently not possible to stop
> archiving a conversation. The scenario is this one:
> auto archiving is enabled. I start a conversation with a contact, so
> it's archived. I start encrypting the conversation (GPG or E2E). Then it
> becomes useless to archive messages. But currently the only way to do
> that is to stop auto archiving for ALL contacts.

Yann:

1. I agree that we need a way to stop archiving.

2. Thank you for the patch.

3. My apologies for the delay in replying.

One minor comment: I think XEP-0201 is a better reference for ThreadIDs
(instead of XEP-0155).

One larger concern: what is the interaction between scope="global" and
the <default/> element? It seems to me that they might overlap (or that
implementers might get confused). I think we need to be clear about how
these two interact. Your answer might be: "Peter, you haven't read the
patch carefully enough because we already answered that question." :)

Let's answer that question, apply the patch, and then have the Council
decide about accepting the changes.

https://stpeter.im/