[Standards] XEP-0184 business rules for message receipts

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 10:29:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Jonathan Schleifer
<js-xmpp-standards at webkeks.org> wrote:
>>  2. A sender SHOULD NOT include a request for message receipts unless
>> it knows (via Service Discovery [4] or Entity Capabilities [5]) that the
>> intended recipient supports the protocol described herein or unless the
>> use of message receipts is negotiated via Stanza Session Negotiation [6].
>
> I agree that those two are not too useful. It might be desirable to send to
> the bare JID when the user's offline and get a receipt once he gets online
> again.

Just a quick note about the "reliability" note. These modifications
suit better  the semantics of message stanzas, but we also accept that
we can miss receipts for messages which are actually delivered (just
to remember that when we need a prompt ack from an online resource iq
pubsub events work better).

--
Fabio Forno,
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com