[Standards] Fwd: [Members] proposed changes to XEP-0001

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Jan 14 04:16:05 UTC 2010

FYI.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Members] proposed changes to XEP-0001
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 21:15:17 -0700
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>
To: XSF Members <members at xmpp.org>

Several months ago I reviewed XEP-0001 and noted some things that needed
to be fixed (e.g., it still said that experimental XEPs are to be
deferred after 6 months of inactivity, whereas we changed that practice
to 12 months some time ago). This evening, spurred by a chat that I had
today with Dave Cridland, I keyed in my edits and made a few other
fixes. The changelog is as follows:

    * Changed the period for Council objections to submitted proposals
from 7 days to 14 days.
    * Changed the period for automatic deferral of an Experimental XEP
from 6 months to 12 months.
    * Changed the holding period for advancement from Draft to Final
from 60 days to 6 months.
    * Clarified that the Editor is the canonical target for all
submissions, not necessarily all questions related to the XSF's
standards process.
    * Clarified that only changes in Draft and Final XEPs that could
reasonably be construed as material must be reviewed and voted on by the
XMPP Council, thus exempting correction of typographical errors, minor
clarifications, and other such errata.
    * Clarified that Council review is mandatory (not just recommended)
regarding IANA registrations initiated by the XMPP Registrar.
    * Updated some references and added some links.

Because the authorizing body for changes to XEP-0001 is the Board of
Directors (not the Council), I think it is appropriate to discuss these
changes among the XSF membership (IMHO the members at xmpp.org list has the
same relation to the Board as the standards at xmpp.org list has to the
Council).

A rendered copy is here: