[Standards] Decloaking and Temporary Subscriptions

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jan 20 20:23:33 UTC 2010

Simon McVittie has made a proposal he's called decloaking, which
effectively puts a bit of structure around the directed presence used
to "back up" various client-client interactions, including Jingle
calls and file transfers.

As part of the discussion, a brief mention was made of an alternate
approach, which I'll call Temporary Subscriptions - that is, actual
roster subscriptions which are by intent expected to be later removed.

In the Council meeting, I opined that I was uneasy with the concept
of decloaking essentially because this Temporary Subscription concept
seemed to have been only very sparsely discussed - I think (and the
rest of the council largely agreed) that it's an interesting idea,
and worthy of careful consideration.

We all entirely disagreed in precisely what it meant - more in the
Council logs.

So - what does the list think? Decloak? Temp-Sub? Or both?

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/