[Standards] Decloaking and Temporary Subscriptions

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Jan 21 15:31:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 at 08:03:24 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> So let's look at the pros and cons...

I generally agree with psa's assessment here. One more note:

> - session-specific presence sharing isn't really a presence
> subscription, which in XMPP is and has always been a long-lived trust
> relationship between two entities; overloading that trust relationship
> seems like a bad idea

A genuine subscription request, if accepted, gives the requester access to your
full presence (<show/> and <status/>, not just "available"), and any pubsub
nodes that have the "normal" PEP access control level (geolocation, etc.).
None of those were actually necessary for the session they wanted to establish
with you (e.g. a Jingle call).