[Standards] Decloaking and Temporary Subscriptions

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Jan 21 16:35:18 UTC 2010

On Thu Jan 21 15:31:28 2010, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 at 08:03:24 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > So let's look at the pros and cons...
>
> I generally agree with psa's assessment here. One more note:
>
> > - session-specific presence sharing isn't really a presence
> > subscription, which in XMPP is and has always been a long-lived
> trust
> > relationship between two entities; overloading that trust
> relationship
> > seems like a bad idea
>
> A genuine subscription request, if accepted, gives the requester
> access to your
> full presence (<show/> and <status/>, not just "available"), and
> any pubsub
> nodes that have the "normal" PEP access control level (geolocation,
> etc.).
> None of those were actually necessary for the session they wanted
> to establish
> with you (e.g. a Jingle call).

On the one hand, this is a reasonable argument. On the other, I'm not
even sure everyone in my roster deserves the same level of trust
anyway...

(That's no slight against those in my roster, but really for my work
account, where we often display general status notices to each other,
which aren't really intended for external consumption.)

So I think this could be a distinct problem, deserving a distinct
solution.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/