[Standards] Jingle XML Streams (XEP-0247). Was: Re: upcoming XEP deferrals

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Sun Jan 24 14:12:11 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 21:15 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> A number of XEPs are due to be deferred in the next 4-5 weeks. Here is
> my take...
>
> [..]
>
> 4. XEP-0247: Jingle XML Streams
>    http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0247.html
>
> IMHO we don't need this one any longer, so it can lapse without issue.

Just last week I suggested Dan Brickley to look into this XEP, because
it enables low-latency peer-to-peer XMPP traffic without requiring
Zeroconf support.

While I very much admire Zeroconf and the Serverless Messaging
specification (XEP-0174), using it in a heterogeneous environment can be
a challenge. Support for mDNS and DNS-SD are often part of the OS, and
have different APIs on every platform. For example, Linux-based systems
have Avahi.

Also, if you already have a path between entities through the regular
XMPP network, it makes perfect sense to use Jingle to establish a direct
XML Stream in the face of low-latency requirements. Dan's example would
be a media center remote control.

I'm not particularly convinced about the usefulness of the required
implementation of IBB in XEP-0247, though. If you already have a
serverful path, but cannot establish a peer-to-peer stream, you can just
do the exchanges through regular XMPP, without envelopes.

ralphm