[Standards] Syncing legacy contact list

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 17:58:28 UTC 2010

On 5-Jun-2010, at 05:35, Guus der Kinderen wrote:
> Again, the gateway will initiate a session on Romeo's behalf to the legacy domain. The legacy roster representation is obtained, which now includes Juliet only. A typical gateway representation will send out a roster-add suggestion for legacyjuliet at gateway.example.org to the XMPP client of Romeo. As this item already exists on the XMPP roster, it is silently ignored. Benvolio's representation however, is also still there. Unless the gateway has either direct access to Romeo's XMPP roster, or obtains somehow the delta of roster changes on the legacy domain since the last login that the gateway did (both are unlikely), there's no way that the gateway can determine that it should send out a Roster Item Deletion suggestion. Romeo's XMPP roster will continue to include both:
>
> legacyjuliet at gateway.example.org
> legacybenvolio at gateway.example.org
>
> Benvolio is still there, even though it was removed from the roster on the legacy domain.

	This is a general issue with roster item exchange, but soluble. We have our roster item exchange component cache it's latest suggestions in a database so it can detect deletions from the legacy service. IOW, our server remembers that it once sent out adds for both legacyjuliet and legacybenvolio. When romeo logs in again, it sees that only legacyjuliet is in the current legacy roster, but that it previously suggested an add for legacybenvolio, so now it should suggest a removal.

-bjc