[Standards] XEP-0198 acknowledgements feedback

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 14:50:19 UTC 2010

On 7 June 2010 18:16, Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Having recently implemented an initial version of XEP-0198
> acknowledgements support for Prosody, I have some feedback:

Now on the resumption part... why:

"
The 'id' attribute defines a unique identifier for purposes of stream
management (an "SM-ID"). [...] The SM-ID MUST NOT be reused for
simultaneous or subsequent sessions (but the server need not ensure
that SM-IDs are unique for all time, only for as long as the server is
continuously running).
"

Assuming the server correctly cleans up closed sessions and discards
the used ids, I don't see the harm in re-using old ids. I don't even
see a need for the id to be unique across the whole server,
considering each client goes through TLS and SASL before it is allowed
to use it.

If there is a reason to not re-use old ids, I'm not sure losing
uniqueness on server restart is a good thing - the client has no way
to know when that happens.

I'm also lacking a defined way for the server to say that setting up
acknowledgements was successful, but resumption wasn't (e.g. not
supported). It seems wrong to deny both when one of them could work.

Matthew