Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 18:15:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> I just had an interesting conversation with "yagiza" about XEP-0184,
> which he has said I can paste here. The general idea is: do we need
> something in XEP-0184 to indicate that a message has been read by the
> intended recipient? This would be similar to the <displayed/> element in
> XEP-0022. I'm not convinced that we need this feature in XEP-0184, and
> tried to explain why to yagiza. Further discussion is welcome on this
> list. I've attached the log of my chat with yagiza for context.

The text already says that the receipt isn't sent until the message is
presented to the user, which seems to be exactly the behaviour
discussed - that the message was in the window the user had selected
at the time. So the XEP already covers this.

What it doesn't cover is acking messages as soon as the client has
received them and before they're presented to the user -  we have 198
to do exactly that.

/K