Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 18:27:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Yann Leboulanger <asterix at lagaule.org> wrote:
> On 06/16/2010 08:15 PM, Kevin Smith wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Peter Saint-Andre<stpeter at stpeter.im>
>>  wrote:
>>> I just had an interesting conversation with "yagiza" about XEP-0184,
>>> which he has said I can paste here. The general idea is: do we need
>>> something in XEP-0184 to indicate that a message has been read by the
>>> intended recipient? This would be similar to the<displayed/>  element in
>>> XEP-0022. I'm not convinced that we need this feature in XEP-0184, and
>>> tried to explain why to yagiza. Further discussion is welcome on this
>>> list. I've attached the log of my chat with yagiza for context.
>>
>> The text already says that the receipt isn't sent until the message is
>> presented to the user, which seems to be exactly the behaviour
>> discussed - that the message was in the window the user had selected
>> at the time. So the XEP already covers this.
>>
>> What it doesn't cover is acking messages as soon as the client has
>> received them and before they're presented to the user -  we have 198
>> to do exactly that.
>
> It's not what I understood from this XEP, and it's not what is implemented
> in Gajim.
>
> Requirements says "Enable a sender to request notification that an XMPP
> message stanza has been received." received here doesn't mean displayed
> IMHO.

I think the following text makes it clear, though:
'Specifically, the receiving entity shall return a <received/> notice
if it has received and processed the message. The term "processed" is
understood to include presentation to a human user if appropriate or
any other application-specific client-side processing'

> Does't chat state 'active' mean that window has focus so we can imagine
> message has been presented?

Active means that the user is paying attention to that chat - so it
seems reasonable to assume they've read the messages that have come
before, yes.

/K