Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 18:41:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Yann Leboulanger <asterix at lagaule.org> wrote:
> On 06/16/2010 08:27 PM, Kevin Smith wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Yann Leboulanger<asterix at lagaule.org>
>>  wrote:

>>> It's not what I understood from this XEP, and it's not what is
>>> implemented
>>> in Gajim.
>>>
>>> Requirements says "Enable a sender to request notification that an XMPP
>>> message stanza has been received." received here doesn't mean displayed
>>> IMHO.
>>
>> I think the following text makes it clear, though:
>> 'Specifically, the receiving entity shall return a<received/>  notice
>> if it has received and processed the message. The term "processed" is
>> understood to include presentation to a human user if appropriate or
>> any other application-specific client-side processing'
>
> I think it just means that user has been notified that a message has been
> received, but not that message has been displayed.

I just checked the thesaurus to be sure I wasn't saying something
silly, and 'presentation' and 'display' are synonyms.

I think the sensible trigger for this is either after the user clicks
'read' if the client has such an interface, or after they've viewed
the message - XEP-0184 is analogous to read receipts in email, and
those are the behaviours typical there.

/K