Konstantin Kozlov yagiza at yandex.ru
Fri Jun 18 12:00:16 UTC 2010

Peter Saint-Andre пишет:
> This is my point: it is *impossible* for you to know if I have actually
> read a message you have sent me (we discussed this in our IM chat the
> other day). You can know if the message has been delivered to my client
> (and this helps to determine if there are delivery problems along the
> XMPP communication path). You can know if the message has been presented
> in an interface that has focus. You can know if the message has been
> marked-as-read. But you can't know if I have physically looked over all
> the words of your message (or heard all the words in an interface for
> the blind or whatever) and have conceptually absorbed what you have
> written. Even if my client forces me to click some "OK" button to
> acknowledge that I have read and understood each message, I'll just
> click that each time to get rid of the annoying popup. You can't know if
> I've read the message, so why pretend?

    Well. According to my experience, based on knowledge of my behavior
and behavior  of my friends, the fact that my message is not "new"
anymore on the other side is enough to assume that user on the other
side read it.
    As for me, running chat application is for chatting. For reading and
writing messages. I can't image a guy who just ignores messages from
contacts in his contact list, just confirming without even reading them.
At least neither me nor any of my friends behave that way. What is he
running his IM application for? If he don't want to read message from
the specific contact, he can just put it into hist ignore list, and he
will never receive any confirmation message. But, once again, confirming
reading of the message without reading it actually sounds strange for me.
    If there are some people, who doing so, that's the problem of those
people. Why other people should suffer because of them? Let's give to
other people such ability, 'cause in the most cases it will be really
useful.