Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Sat Jun 19 08:45:23 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 5:31 AM, Konstantin Kozlov <yagiza at yandex.ru> wrote:
>   Another example: we receive <active/> notification. Then we receive
> <composing/> notification. The we decide to send a message. The message is
> sent and we receive <received /> notification. Now, how do you think, the
> user on the other side read your message, or not?
>   In fact? it's implementation dependent:
>   1. In Psi, if user is composing a message, it's chat window is active and
> he will see your message just when it arrived.
>   2. In Bombus, if user composing a message, he cannot see message list,
> 'cause current screen is message edit textbox. So, he'll see your message
> after he'll send his one or will suspend editing. And if something's
> diverted his attention while he composing message, he won't read your
> message 'till he remember about it.
>   So, you have to analyze message receipts, chat state notifications, client
> version to guess if user on the other side read your message. Ind is some
> cases even that is not enough. Need examples?

This is correct - <active/> means that the user is actively
participating in the conversation, it doesn't mean they're actively
reading what the other person is sending at the moment. In fact, the
way the XEP's worded, you're not going to know that the user isn't
<active/> any more for some minutes after the event.

/K