Konstantin Kozlov yagiza at yandex.ru
Sat Jun 19 14:33:21 UTC 2010

Kevin Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Konstantin Kozlov <yagiza at yandex.ru> wrote:
>
>>   For me, knowing, that user on the other side read the message is very
>> useful. 'cause if I got <received /> confirmation from the other side, but
>> getting no <read /> confirmation from the other side for a long time, I'll
>> assume that user didn't noticed notification of my message arrival. So, I'll
>> try to attract his attention, for example, using XEP-0224 (Attention).
>> <http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0224.html>
>>

> I can see two cases here
> 1) The user doesn't need a reply urgently
> 2) The user needs a reply urgently.
>
> As I see things, if (1) is true, there's no need to go sending 224
> pokes to get a response, and in (2) you'd send a 224 poke (if you were
> so inclined) irrespective of whether you get a read receipt or not if
> you didn't have a reply. Is that reasonable?

    No, I don't think so.
    As it stated in XEP-0224, it should be used to attract user's
attention, if you suppose he's not focused on his client. Using that
buzz just to force other side answer you is really rude. If I see that
other side read my message, but do not answer, I'll wait a little, than
ask him, why he didn't reply.
    One of my friends often sends buzz just after he sends a message.
These times I'm almost about to kill him!