Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Tue Jun 22 17:37:11 UTC 2010

To summarise the discussion that's just happened in jdev:

I'm happy that 184 is updated to be explicit about being on client
receipt, without processing involved, and I'll even concede that these
should be sent automatically, subject to security considerations (you
may only send them automatically to people with a presence). These
will still carry the current 184 warning that they can't be used for
automatic retransmission (with agreement from Yann, I believe)

I'm happy that a new XEP is produced describing <read/>, which is only
to be sent after user confirmation that they've read the message and
subject to more stringent security considerations (should be opt in,
must be disableable, whatever).

yagiza expressed an interest in having both features in one XEP, but
my belief is that if we have two different use cases we shouldn't
merge them into one XEP - especially when they're independently
implementable.

Peter's asked that it is discussed by Council next week - but as I was
the dissenting faction and I'm now content, I suggest we move forward
with this as a plan unless anyone objects.

/K