[Standards] XEP-0184: some minor remarks

Bruce Campbell b+jabber at bruce-2010.zerlargal.org
Tue Jun 22 21:48:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, Steven te Brinke wrote:

> When I read XEP-0184, I thought about a few situations which are not
> explicitly addressed in the XEP, so I did draw my own conclusions. It might be
> desired to add (some of) these to the XEP explicitly. I leave that for someone
> else to decide. I just list them here so anyone can think about them:

> 3. Is there any recommendation regarding message archiving? If the receipt
> request is in the archive, a receipt might be send every time the user browses
> the archive. If a receipt request is removed before archiving, it is possible
> that a receipt is never send (e.g. in an IMAP like system, messages are
> archived by the server to be received by a client from the archive).

Regarding your first situation, I'd say that implementors would seek to
turn off responding to requests for receipts for any message that was
intentionally retrieved from the archive.  Something like this before
'Example 4' in XEP-0182 should do the trick:

   The recipient shall not generate duplicate receipts, for instance, if
   the recipient is re-viewing the original message.

Regarding your second situation, if the archiving process is removing the
request for a receipt before the client even sees it, there's not much
that can be recommended for that.

--
   Bruce.