[Standards] XEP-0184: some minor remarks

Steven te Brinke s.tebrinke at student.utwente.nl
Wed Jun 23 07:16:06 UTC 2010

Op dinsdag 22 juni 2010 23:48:15 schreef Bruce Campbell:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, Steven te Brinke wrote:
> > 3. Is there any recommendation regarding message archiving? If the
> > receipt request is in the archive, a receipt might be send every time
> > the user browses the archive. If a receipt request is removed before
> > archiving, it is possible that a receipt is never send (e.g. in an IMAP
> > like system, messages are archived by the server to be received by a
> > client from the archive).
>
> Regarding your first situation, I'd say that implementors would seek to
> turn off responding to requests for receipts for any message that was
> intentionally retrieved from the archive.  Something like this before
> 'Example 4' in XEP-0182 should do the trick:
>
>    The recipient shall not generate duplicate receipts, for instance, if
>    the recipient is re-viewing the original message.
>
> Regarding your second situation, if the archiving process is removing the
> request for a receipt before the client even sees it, there's not much
> that can be recommended for that.

That sentence would clarify it nicely. It gives any implementation the
responsibility to know whether a message has been viewed already. I was just
wondering how archiving could be done in combination with this XEP and with
this sentence present, I would say the first option is the right choice and the
second is not.

Cheers,
Steven