[Standards] presence muc element

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Fri Jun 25 10:08:19 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, also if we ensure servers respond correctly to probes when directed
>> presence is involved we can probe in various cases - that said, I know
>> M-Link doesn't respond correctly in this case, although we're working on
>> that. (I'm curious as to whether other servers do, as well - this is a bis
>> thing we've not caught up with yet, AFAIK).
> No, I don't think we have that either yet - likely for the next release though.
>
> I have a better idea though...
> http://matthewwild.co.uk/uploads/gc_pinger.html :)

You can send iq to the occupant (ping rather than version, these days,
presumably), but that's not as good as a presence probe. A presence
probe gives you the definitive answer on whether the user still has
directed presence to you (and thus hasn't left the room), while
sending an iq at best only works out if the resource is online.

/K