[Standards] presence type="error" originating from client

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Sat Jun 26 02:09:07 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

I noticed today that if I try to send a presence stanza of type error from
Psi's XML console, such as:

  <presence type="error" to="user at example.com/resource">
    <error code="404" type="cancel">
      <item-not-found xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/>
    </error>
  </presence>

The stanza is not being delivered.  Could it be that my server is eating such
stanzas that originate from clients?  It seems to be reproducible with both
jabberd14 and Tigase, making me think this is standard behavior, but I
couldn't find a clause about it in the RFC.

-Justin