[Standards] Invisible Command and probes

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 06:48:18 UTC 2010

On 30 June 2010 06:13, Paul Aurich <paul at darkrain42.org> wrote:
> While discussing XEP-0186 (Invisible Command) in
> prosody at conference.prosody.im, I noticed that the specification doesn't
> actually mention whether or not a server is supposed to generate any
> sort of presence probes.
>
> Waqas suggested that based on historical discussions, most people think
> the server shouldn't (I disagree, but anyway.)  Regardless of which side
> of that people are on, I think the specification should, at the very
> least, bring up the topic.

I wasn't around for the discussion (I was sleeping for once) but my
plan for a while has been to add a new attribute to signal this.
Setting probe='true' would ask the server to send probes (and thus
risk revealing your connected state) or probe='false' to not do this,
but understand you may not receive presence from your contacts.

Matthew