[Standards] Invisible Command and probes

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Wed Jun 30 18:23:44 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 30 June 2010 10:40:38 Matthew Wild wrote:
> This is the problem. It has frequently been raised that the probes
> sent by the user's server can be detected by a contact's server (think
> plugins for easily-extensible XMPP servers...) to signal that the user
> is invisible.

Have an XMPP server that probes contacts the first time it knows about them,
and on bootup, but never for any other reason.  Local user logins would never
trigger probes.  All incoming presence is cached indefinitely.

Advantages:
  Optimized login times (instant presence for remote contacts, no waiting).
  No giving away your availability due to causing probes when you log in.

Disadvantages:
  Use lots of memory to cache presence.

On my 10-person server the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages.

-Justin