[Standards] NEW: XEP-0279 (Server IP Check)

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 18:42:09 UTC 2010

On 6 March 2010 18:12, Justin Karneges
<justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 06 March 2010 01:33:25 Pedro Melo wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 5:01 AM, Evgeniy Khramtsov <xramtsov at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> > There is already STUN support in ejabberd :P
>> > For me it is unclear why we need another way to discover client's public
>> > ip, that's why I'm asking
>>
>> Because I already have a XMPP stack, and if I can get away without
>> having to include a [STUN] stack, thats a win on my book.
>
> I don't think obtaining your external IP address alone is all that useful
> anymore.  Years ago, I could have seen it being an aid to those who were port
> forwarding (e.g. with XEP-65), and back then even I was strongly desiring
> such an extension.  That's how the earlier protocols like ICQ and AIM worked,
> too, so it made sense to want to mirror the state of the art.

I don't feel that any of these amount to an argument to not accept and
publish the XEP. People want this, it's trivial to do, we should
standardize a way of doing it. Done.

Now this XEP isn't telling people not to use STUN, TURN, UDP or
Jingle... it's for the people who don't want or need to use those
technologies (perhaps for the moment). I don't feel we should be
limiting what people want to do with XMPP, or how they should build
their applications.

Matthew