[Standards] NEW: XEP-0279 (Server IP Check)

Evgeniy Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 10:42:22 UTC 2010

Matthew Wild wrote:
> People want this, it's trivial to do, we should
> standardize a way of doing it. Done.

Actually there is already a standard for address discovery - STUN. By
the way, you didn't tell why this XEP is useful and why it is better
than STUN, or when to use this XEP and when to use STUN.
> Now this XEP isn't telling people not to use STUN, TURN, UDP or
> Jingle... it's for the people who don't want or need to use those
> technologies (perhaps for the moment).

This XEP adds incomprehension: a Jabber developer might be confused
which approach to choose: this XEP or STUN.
> I don't feel we should be
> limiting what people want to do with XMPP, or how they should build
> their applications

Agreed. But I think we need to use a common well-tested solution, and
not invent our own without necessity, if possible.

BTW, STUN has a protection from poorly written ALGs which rewrite IP
addresses, that's why MAPPED-ADDRESS is now deprecated in favor of
XOR-MAPPED-ADDRESS. This XEP doesn't have such protection.

--
Regards,
Evgeniy Khramtsov, ProcessOne.