[Standards] XEP-0048 bookmarks

Yann Leboulanger asterix at lagaule.org
Mon Mar 8 12:44:16 UTC 2010

Le 08/03/2010 12:28, Nicolas Vérité a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> The main difference between versions 1.0 and 1.1 of the bookmarks XEP
> is the previous use of XEP-0049: Private XML Storage, and the new
> recommandation of use of XEP-0223: Persistent Storage of Private Data
> via PubSub. The section 3 even mentions other storage methods, such as
> HTTP/WebDAV.
>
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/attic/xep-0048-1.0.html
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0048.html
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0048.html#storage
>
> How are clients and servers supposed to manage the transition and/or
> synchronization from one to another?
>
> Clients:
> I believe most clients, if no all, support XEP-0049. I believe only a
> few clients support bookmarks over XEP-0223 (I don't know of any).
>
> Servers:
> I believe too few servers support PubSub. I believe none supports HTTP/WebDAV.
>

> Any best practice or hint? Or w're stuck on a historical XEP?

In gajim, what we do is to first ask with 223 to get bookmarks, if there
is an error answer we request with 49, and save it with 223 (if server
has pubsub)

We faced a problem with some server not replying to <iq>, or reply
several hours later (yes yes): we don't get an error answer, so we never
request with 49. So we setup a timeout, and if we don't get an answer to
223 request within this timeout, we request with 49.

--
Yann