[Standards] NEW: XEP-0279 (Server IP Check)

Tomasz Sterna tomek at xiaoka.com
Mon Mar 8 15:52:11 UTC 2010

Dnia 2010-03-08, pon o godzinie 14:56 +0100, Remko Tronçon pisze:
> > The clean separation of RFC 3920 and RFC 3921 allows this.
> > XEP-0279 breaks this and causes tight coupling of these layers.
>
> On the other hand, if your server implementation has a hard time
> figuring it out, don't support it.

I always thought that the Standards JIG was created to come up with the
best protocols possible through exchange of technical arguments. So
called "meritocracy".

"If you don't like it, then don't use it." is not a technical argument.

I pointed a deficiency in the tight coupling approach. This is not an
immediate danger, but a possibility of hurting us in the future.

On the other hand, not every XMPP protocol extension needs to be blessed
by XSF and published as XEP. Google has no problems with adding own
extensions to the protocol without asking us for acceptance.

Dnia 2010-03-08, pon o godzinie 15:10 +0000, Matthew Wild pisze:
> Yay, I'm not alone in thinking that each implementation need not
> support *every* published XEP :)

Unfortunately this point of view is not shared by software users.
They tend to compare implementations by counting features.
This leads to a race of implementing every possible XEP, no matter how
silly or useless the idea is.