[Standards] NEW: XEP-0279 (Server IP Check)

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 16:04:10 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Tomasz Sterna <tomek at xiaoka.com> wrote:
> Dnia 2010-03-08, pon o godzinie 14:56 +0100, Remko Tronçon pisze:
>> > The clean separation of RFC 3920 and RFC 3921 allows this.
>> > XEP-0279 breaks this and causes tight coupling of these layers.
>> On the other hand, if your server implementation has a hard time
>> figuring it out, don't support it.
> I pointed a deficiency in the tight coupling approach. This is not an
> immediate danger, but a possibility of hurting us in the future.

Indeed. I don't think the extra roundtrip is going to be a problem
(given that most clients won't want this a round-trip for the few that
do seems better than stuffing more stream features down the majority
of clients that don't), but if the XEP is difficult to implement in
practice it can be updated to something equivalent but easy to
implement if you have suggestions for the XEP authors.

> On the other hand, not every XMPP protocol extension needs to be blessed
> by XSF and published as XEP. Google has no problems with adding own
> extensions to the protocol without asking us for acceptance.

No, but standards are preferable where people want to interoperate. I
would be just as happy to not have this XEP, because I see very
limited use cases that it solves, but enough people seem to want it
still that it seems worth publishing an experimental XEP.

/K